Monday, March 28, 2011

Black Market Baby

Owen and I were sitting in the kids' room today, keeping Zoe company while she played with her dolls.  All of the sudden, she announced that she was going to get her baby out "ezACKly" like I got Owen out.  I was curious to know how she pictured that happening, having my own memory of thinking babies came out of your belly button when I was her age, so I asked her how the whole thing was going to go down.  She went into the other room for a bit, and came back cradling and rocking her baby, and we had the following conversation:

Zoe:  "Say 'Congratulations!'".
Me:  "Congratulations!  Your baby is perfect!"
Zoe:   in a sweet soft voice and with a slight smile on her face "Thank you....You can have her someday."
Me:  "Oh no, she's YOUR baby."
Zoe:  still in the sweet voice and same look on her face, still rocking the baby "It's ok, you can buy her."
Me:   admittedly a bit disturbed "I can buy her?"
Zoe:  same voice and look and still with the gentle rocking "Yeah, you can buy her at the store by King Soopers (our grocery store)."


Eeesh!  I'm not sure if this says more about my parenting or her imagination but I'm going with the latter.  Let's hope I haven't given her the impression that a) I wouldn't think twice about selling either of my children at any point, and/or b) babies are easily replaceable and can be found near your local supermarket.

1 comment:

  1. I love so many things about this. "Say 'congratulations!'" Oh man. I wish I could've witnessed this exchange. Hi-larious.

    ReplyDelete