Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Well then.

Just getting this down before I forget it, although I'm not sure I ever will.  When I told Nathan it happened he told me if there was a way to frame it, I should...this is the closest I can get so...

Zoe was having a moment just before dinner.  She got it in her head that she really wanted to cut up some scallions from our garden that we weren't going to be using today and Nathan asked her not to.  She stubbornly kept doing it and when I walked in the room, I also asked her not to do it.  She broke down in tears and I sat down to talk her through it, hoping I could help steer her away from a complete meltdown right at the end of the day.  I was talking and looking at her, she was crying and looking away from me.  All of the sudden she looked me in the eye, gently grabbed my arm and quietly asked me to go into the living room with her.  She sat me down on the couch and cuddled in with me, nestling under the crook of my arm and said (not exactly like this because she was struggling a bit to find her words and once in a while I'd ask her something,  but she said all of these statements at one  point during our talk):  "Mommy, I love you because you do really good things for the Earth.  You take care of the Earth, and all the animals on it.  You take care of people we don't even know and you are really brave.  Today on the playground, I felt mad at my friends and I thought of you.  When I thought of you, I wanted to remember to tell you all of this later and I just love you.  When I'm upset you know how to help me feel better."  I was practically speechless and could only hug her tight and thank her for telling me.  I'm not 100% sure I totally deserve that moment, but I'm taking it anyway.

1 comment: